I love making fruit smoothies—they are a healthy, filling, quick meal or addition to your breakfast. But, sometimes I think they need a little jazzing up, or a little extra protein to keep me going.
Here are five yummy extras you can add:
- A small handful of quick-cooking oats – adds fiber and protein, and you can get a serving of whole grains in! It also tastes more like a delicious breakfast shake.
- Zest from any citrus peel – my favorite peel to grate into my smoothie is lime, but I also like lemon, orange, and grapefruit. This really gives smoothies a nice, refreshing kick.
- Fresh mint – also adds a very refreshing depth of flavor.
- Nuts – I’ve only tried almonds and almond milk, but other nuts will certainly add different delicious flavors.
- Flaxseed – good source of omega-3 fatty acids, and is high in fiber.
I’m also trying to come up with my own delicious banana coffee smoothie… recipe soon! What do you like to add to your smoothies?